The Cooking Lounge Bacalao Salad is a latin and caribbean take on a traditional whitefish salad made from salted cod.
From Puerto Rico in the Caribbean to Italy, through Portugal on into Norway in Europe, there is recipe upon recipe for a whitefish salad made with dried, salted codfish. Triangular trade routes paved the way for cod to become a traditional staple across continents.
A friend from Puerto Rico and a friend's Mom from Panama dipped into memories of mothers' kitchens, sharing their favorite version of this traditional cod dish. Cooking Lounge's fresh take has big, bright flavors, that go well with almost any buffet spread, make a light yet filling lunch salad on a bed of greens, and complement meat as a side (see serving suggestion).
|Bacalao Salad (capers, olives, chive flowers, fresh herbs)|
So worth the effort because Bacalao Salad holds well, serves a group, and has fresh, bright flavors that satisfy.
|Bacalao Salad w/ Chorizo Bacon Fritata and Salsa Fresca|
Try this Cooking Lounge Holidays Recipe for Bacalao Salad.
|Soaked Desalinated Codfish|
|Blanched, Drained Codfish|
|Bacalao Salad Preparation|
- 2 lbs boneless Bacalao (salted cod)
- 3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Capers
- 3/4 cup Goya Olives
- 1/2 chopped Chive Flowers (was lucky at market; chives work.)
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Serrano peper (deseeded, diced)
- 1 cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup Cider Vinegar
- Salt, Pepper, Crushed Red Pepper
Cooking Lounge is a guide. Make this recipe you own: play with measurements, use what you have, experiment. Have fun cooking.
- Blanch the rehydrated cod in hot water for 2-3 minutes. Cooking Lounge added the juice of 1/2 lime to the water.
- Let fish cool. Break up fish and remove any stray bones or skin.
- Mix in capers, olives, chive flowers, red onion, fresh parsley
- Make Citrus Marinade with juice of 1 lemon, teaspoon lemon zest, juice of 1/2 lime, fresh oregano leaves, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper for extra spicy, optional.
- Toss with marinade and chill for several hours for best flavor.