Find us on Google+ cooking lounge • FOOD • LIFESTYLE • MORE • : Cod Fish Cakes with Poached Eggs

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cod Fish Cakes with Poached Eggs

FOOD:

Nostalgia for a taste, for a moment, a remembrance can create a meal. A fleeting mental essence causes you to smack your lips and smile; 'ummmm, love to have that again.' Cod is a flavor I like.  Recently, I tried my hand at Baccala (cod fish) Salad which has variations from Italy to Portugal to Puerto Rico. A friend gave me some pointers and the next thing I know I progressed to Pulpo (octopus) Salad which became a high protein staple this summer. Thanks for the tips Angel. Digressing. So the cod got me thinking about one of my most favorite breakfast dishes as a kid, cod fish cakes with scrambled eggs. I have craved this dish but the few times I have seen cod fish cakes on a menu and ordered; the cakes were bready, heavy pucks that were either flavorless or too fishy and salty. So on occasion, I search for Gorton's Cod Fish Cakes because that was what Mom used. Well, you can not find Gorton's Cod Fish Cakes or Cod Fish in a can anymore. Gorton's please start making this product again. Inspired; I improvised.
 
By chance, during a trip to historic Essex Street Market on the lower eastside of New York City, I saw salt cod at Batista Market and Grocery. The cod was not dehydrated to grayish fish leather, the cod was plump and white. A taste for nostalgia hit me; and, I knew I was going to make Cod Fish Cakes. So the next day, I make brunch for two of the coolest ladies I know - Cod Fish Cakes, Poached Eggs, Baby Arugula, Tomato and Whole Wheat Toast. Not quite Mom's breakfast, but the Cod Fish Cakes were golden, slightly crisp on the the outside and light, fluffy and moist inside with the potato and cod combining seamlessly into a savory cake. Ummmm, a comforting taste flashback! 
Check out the slideshow above. Remember get creative. Make it yours.
Cod Fish Cakes
1 1/2 cod - soaked overnight and drained. Boil the cod for about 15 minutes. Sat aside.
2 med size potatoes  - peeled, cubed and boiled (in the same water as the cod with a Bay leaf).
2 cloves of garlic and a few shallots - sliced, diced and sauteed.
2 eggs slightly beaten.
1/4 cup of flour.
1 handful  of parsley chopped.
 Salt, Pepper.
Mix all together.  Form uniform cakes. Use a ice cream scoop. Gently pan fry in a little oil. 
I'll leaves eggs and side dishes to your culinary imagination. Think regions, cultures and seasons when pairing flavors or think out of the box and experiment.
Enjoy!
Cooking Lounge

6 comments:

Al Temple said...

I have been looking for Gorton's Cod Fish cakes for years. Every store in my area, Hudson, Mass., used to have it but not anymore. My 94 year old Mother has been very disappointed. Where do I buy the cans of it? We would slice it in 1/8 inch slices out of the can, coat it with flour, and fry it in a cast iron fry pan with oil.

Al temple said...

My Email, atemplesr@verizon.net. this is in regards to looking for canned Cod Fish Cakes from Gorton and where to find it.

cooking lounge said...

Hi Al,

Grew up eating Gorton's cod fish cakes prepared the same way, yummmm. Food memories really do transport us to a particular time and place.

Unfortunately, I do not think the product is available.

The Cooking Lounge Cod Fish Cakes can be made with fresh cod to more closely resemble the texture of Gorton's Cod Fish in a can.

I wonder why Gorton's discontinued making? Not on the website, http://gortons.com/products.

Let me know if you having any success finding?

Best of luck,
Willis
Cooking Lounge

Anonymous said...

the good always goes away WISH THE COMPANY WOULD RESUME THIS PRODUCT AGAIN RAY NASHUA NH

Anonymous said...

I have looked and looked for the Gorton's cod fish in a can for years -- What the heck happened ?? where is it ???? I grew up with it and my kids also loved it -- come on PUT IT BACK ON the MARKET. Please Please Peggy

cooking lounge said...

Yes! Loved Gorton's fish cakes.
Gorton's should definitely bring back cod fish in a can.
With so many people looking for healthier and more sustainable sources of protein, Gorton's cod fish in a can seems like a natural for relaunch.
Gorton's...are you listening?
Have a great day, Peggy.
Thanks for posting.
Willis